Chrow's Nest
More boffer shit!
So, I was giving some thought to doing Cod-Tier Gamzee a couple weeks back and I got to pondering his juggling clubs. Now, being the speshul snowflake that I am, I figured that I didn’t want to just buy a couple of shitty juggling clubs off ebay or whatever and just drag those around, because I’d feel like a goon for not being able to juggle them.
Instead, I got the idea to make a giant club, sort of based off some random fucking picture I can’t even find any more. Seeing as I was still sort of in boffer mode and I still had a fuckhuge pile of foam to use, I figured I could make a giant boffer club instead.
I finished this the other day after a sudden burst of GETSHITDONE. I don’t know if this means I’m doing Gamzee or not (In fact, I’m leaning towards doing a Xelor costume from Wakfu) but maybe I’ll put together a second one and actually take progress photos for it. Thinking about making a blue and a purple one.
If you’re curious, the whole thing is a little over 3 feet long.

More boffer shit!

So, I was giving some thought to doing Cod-Tier Gamzee a couple weeks back and I got to pondering his juggling clubs. Now, being the speshul snowflake that I am, I figured that I didn’t want to just buy a couple of shitty juggling clubs off ebay or whatever and just drag those around, because I’d feel like a goon for not being able to juggle them.

Instead, I got the idea to make a giant club, sort of based off some random fucking picture I can’t even find any more. Seeing as I was still sort of in boffer mode and I still had a fuckhuge pile of foam to use, I figured I could make a giant boffer club instead.

I finished this the other day after a sudden burst of GETSHITDONE. I don’t know if this means I’m doing Gamzee or not (In fact, I’m leaning towards doing a Xelor costume from Wakfu) but maybe I’ll put together a second one and actually take progress photos for it. Thinking about making a blue and a purple one.

If you’re curious, the whole thing is a little over 3 feet long.

Figure it’s time to update!

Every so often, I get bored and toss together a boffer sword. I don’t really LARP or anything, but these are still fun to have around just as the occasional distraction. I have a younger brother who is shaping up to be just as much of a dork as I am and it’s great fun to take him outside and clash swords.

The process is pretty simple, really. While scavenging for cardboard, as I usually do, I often come across this plasticy white packing foam. Often used to protect electronics and such because it doesn’t create as much static electricity as the crumbly typical styrofoam.

First thing I did was chop a long, rectangular length of the stuff down the middle, lengthwise and then cut a channel down the center of that piece. This will come in hard later.

The next step was to give the whole thing more of a blade shape. I tapered down the edges, so both sides were more of a trapezoid shape. From there, I cut a triangular shape out of the top (reason why in a second) and beveled down the edges by cutting along the surface at an angle.

From there, you tape one side of this vague bladeshape to a length of PVC pipe. Then I taped the other half to the half that was secured to the pipe. For the tip, I cut out two diamond shaped pieces of foam andshaped them a bit so shwne they sandwiched together they would come to a point.

The rest is just a matter of covered it nicely in tape so it looks fancy and neat. Once everything is covered in duct tape, it should more or less hold itself together. To spiff it up, I created a hilt from a piece of leftover foam and added some decorations, like the diamond. I also covered the bottom of the handle just because that’s kind of a safety thing. For that, I just wrapped some leftover strips of foam that I had carved off the blade and taped them in place. I used some shiny fake aluminum tape along the ‘blade’ to make it shiny and covered the rest in black and silver duct tape.

As a last touch, I wrapped another strip of that leftover foam around the handle to give it a better grip. I later wrapped it with electrical tape to make it look better, but I didn’t take a picture of that.